Ingredients for paste:
1 T cashews
1 tsp khuskhus (white poppy seeds)
1/4 cup fresh or frozen grated coconut
3-6 cloves garlic (optional)
1 inch piece ginger
1 tsp red chilli powder (or to taste)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
2 tsp coriander powder (dhaniya)
1 tsp garam masala powder
1/4 cup plant based yogurt or plant milk
Whole Spices, to add to above paste (optional):
1 bay leaf
2 cardamom pods
1 small piece cinnamon
1-2 green chillies, chopped (as per taste)
2 T + 1-2 C water
1 C plant yogurt
1 large onion, finely chopped (optional)
1 large tomato finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped green beans
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped potato
1/2 cup green peas
1/2 cup cauliflower florets
Vegetables can be substituted and quantities changed based on availability/season
- Grind all paste ingredients with as little water as possible.
- Add water to the bottom of instant pot, then place the steam rack insert inside.
- Layer vegetables according to cook time, pouring masala paste on the top most layer. Be careful not to let this paste become too runny and touch the bottom of instant pot insert – it will burn.
- Set the instant pot to the high pressure “Steam and More” setting for 2 minutes, making sure the valve is set to the steaming mode.
- After it is finished, quick release the pressure by moving the valve forward to the venting mode.
- Open the instant pot, remove the insert, and mix the vegetables with 1-2 cups of water, plant yogurt, and plant milk.
Serve with chopped cilantro. Enjoy with parathas, rotis, naan, tortillas, pita pockets etc!