Simple Whole Wheat Spiced Bread Recipe without Kneading!
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1 1/2 C all purpose flour
1/4 tsp yeast
1 heaping tsp salt
1 1/2 C water
Optional add-ins: jalapenos, red chili flakes, Thai green chili, sun dried tomatoes, chopped greens/herbs – finely chopped dill, spinach, kale, rosemary etc.
1. Mix all dry ingredients until well combined.
2. Add 1 C water and then add the other 1/2 C, 1 TBS at at time. Mix well to get a wet sand-like texture, until no more dry flour remains.
3. Set aside overnight for the dough to rise. (approximately 18-24 hrs)
4. Preheat the oven to 450 F for 30 mins. Place an oven safe dish, covered, in the oven during preheating. If you do not have an oven safe dish see Notes section.
5. Remove hot dish from oven and liberally sprinkle with Corn Meal and transfer the dough into dish using a spatula dipped in water.
6. Bake for 30 mins at 450 F with lid. Remove lid and bake again for 10 mins. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack. Cool for minimum of 30 mins before cutting the bread. If not, the bread will become gummy!
This is a very forgiving recipe, so don’t fret. If the dough is too wet.
Notes: use a pizza stone or cast iron skillet if you do not have an oven safe dish with lid.