Time: 15-20 mins including prep time
Vegetables of your choice: 1/2 C each:
Onions, tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, baby lima beans, peas, corn, carrots, edamame, red cabbage, cabbage, peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, greens (spinach, collard greens, chard etc.)
1 C thick Red poha (flattened rice, available at any Indian grocery store)
1/8 tsp or a pinch of turmeric
1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
1 TBS Lime or Lemon juice
2 TBS chopped cilantro
1 TBS dry roasted peanuts or seeds of your choice
1/8 tsp or Salt to taste
1. Dice your pick of vegetables and set aside.
2. Rinse the poha under running water in a colander and set aside.
Method 1: In a pan:
1. Saute chopped onions in a hot pan until cooked. Add vegetables based on the cooking time. Add vegetables that take longest to cook, first. Like carrots, lima beans, etc. Cook these for 2-3 mins then add all other vegetables based on their cooking time.
Add a TBS of water as necessary to ensure the onions or vegetables dont stick to the pan.
2. Once the vegetables are cooked al dante, add the rinsed poha. Add 1-2 TBS water, as required.
3. Add chopped ginger, salt and cover and cook for 4-5 mins.
4. Garnish with lime or lemon juice and chopped cilantro
5. Enjoy as a snack of a whole meal!
Method 2: In an Instant Pot: (10-12mins)
1. Layer in the following order in the Instant Pot (3Q, 6Q or 8Q)
3/4 C Water
Your choice of vegetables (in the order of cooking time, longest first)
Rinsed poha (flattened rice)
Chopped Green chilies
Salt to taste
2. Close Instant Pot. Cook on High Pressure for 0 Mins; Quick Release (it takes 10-12 mins to come to pressure and reach 0 mins. Do not walk away. Stay close and keep an eye on the IP timing)
3. Transfer immediately to a large wide bowl or glass pan to cool immediately (to stop the cooking process)
4. Garnish with lime juice and chopped cilantro
5. ENJOY!!! with a tsp of dry roasted spanish peanuts!